Voltage regulator with alternate voltage source...

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:47:46 CDT 2016

Eric,

No, not a series diode (in series with the In or Out), but a diode
connected from Out to In, with the band on the In terminal. It provides a
moderately high current path in the event that the voltage on the Out
exceeds that on the In.

This might occur if the input voltage suddenly drops (shorted input?),
while there is a charged large-ish cap on the (lightly-loaded) output side.
The diode provides a safe path for the reverse current flow, which would
otherwise possibly damage low-current pathways within the regulator device.