Voltage regulator with alternate voltage source...

Bill Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Sat Apr 9 22:07:21 CDT 2016

Brent Hilpert wrote:
> Well that's neat.

Thanks.

> I assembled the Cromemco kit version of the Cyclops
> (The kit version presented an interface for a computer
> rather than the scope drive of the magazine article.

I was recently able to acquire the S-100 interface cards
for the Cyclops.  I'm hoping to take that step sometime
this summer.

> Hopefully you're more successful with your unit.

Thanks.

> (I think you'll find the MC7805 there is indeed plastic
> not ceramic.  Moto produced various power transistors
> and regulators in those packages (case 90 in Moto parlance)
> as well as a smaller version from the same plastic material)

I think you're right.  It is odd, not plastic like any IC
I've ever seen.  And it does have a purplish cast to it.

> A 9V wall wart would probably do for the power supply

I was worried about the "pseudo-DC" that most wall warts
provide.

> or remove the regulator

At this point, I'm about to build the "real" supply anyway...
Here are a few more recent photos:

http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cyclops-latest/P4070001.JPG
http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cyclops-latest/P4090001-2.JPG
http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cyclops-latest/P4090009-2.JPG