Voltage regulator with alternate voltage source...

wulfman wulfman at wulfman.com
Fri Apr 8 10:54:45 CDT 2016

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/LM/LM7805.pdf

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm78l05.pdf ( page 8 gives you the
internals for a low power version )

Nothing in the data sheet saying you cant apply voltage to the output.

As per the low power version circuit diagram i cant see how you can do
any damage to it
I was not able to find an internal diagram for the higher power version but
i am sure its close to the same circuit just larger pass transistors.

I took a new regulator and measured the output pin to ground with my
trusty ohmmeter
on the diode setting and had no reading. If you think about it the
output on the regulator is a pass transistor
and the output to ground will be in effect a diode that will not allow
current to pass from output to ground.

My last comment still stands. i doubt you will cause any ill effects to
your regulator.

I personally have done this to some old arcade boards with no ill effects.

--
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use,