The Right Way to Email - was Re: C & undefined behaviour - was Re: tumble under BSD

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Mon Apr 4 15:00:35 CDT 2016

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016, Guy Sotomayor wrote:

> > 	How so? Who reads an email message from the bottom up?
> >
> Because I’ve already read all of the other messages in the thread and it’s
> a pain when folks bottom post and include the complete text of all of the
> previous emails.

 I think bottom-posting without trimming is actually more evil than
top-posting (which I personally find a bit of nuisance, but acceptable,
especially in a non-technical discussion).

 Though to be honest I think if you're inclined to top-post (i.e. you
don't want to address parts of a message being replied to individually),
then you're better off not quoting it at all in the first place.  It's
being addressed as a whole anyway, or you need to phrase your reply such
that the recipient knows which point is being discussed, so whoever needs
to remind themselves what this all was about can reach for the original
message.

 FWIW I think the worst of all evils is actually middle-posting, where the
reply to an individual original point is placed somewhere in the middle of
the whole quoted tens-to-hundreds-line original message.  I wonder where
people come with the idea of formatting their correspondence like this
from, it must be taking some effort, hmm...

  Maciej