DEC handles

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Tue Sep 29 11:32:44 CDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:57:13AM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>Hi all, does anyone know of a source for the plastic handles on DEC Flip Chip
>modules (single, double and quad)? Magenta would be great, but really, any
>colour would be acceptable, if magenta's not available. (And no, I don't want
>to salvage them from otherwise useless cards!)

The Scanbe 40080 handle fits, even if it's not quite identical.
Plain white nylon.  No longer made (Newark *used* to have them) but there
may still be old stock in the world (or at least it looked that way last
time I went googling).

I think the last time we talked about Stu Phillips, someone who'd known
him said that by now he must be very retired, if he's around.  Too bad
because he was the go-to guy for all the aftermarket cards in the 1980s
(most of those handles have his initials or name on them -- he had both
plastic ones and the quad/hex metal ones).

Again, I'm curious what it would take to get a real mold made (there are
service bureaus that advertise that on eBay but I have no idea what they'd
need to work from).  It seems like there are plastic shops on every street
corner here in western Mass. ... to the extent we have street corners.

John Wilson
D Bit