Small glass capacitors polarized?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 27 14:15:20 CDT 2015

On 09/27/2015 11:03 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Hey, everyone: those little glass capacitors (well, the casing is
> glass - I'm not sure what's inside) that one often sees used as
> per-chip noise/spike supression caps (often 0.01 uF or some such
> size) on 1970s/1980s vintage boards: are those things polarized, or
> can I put them in either way around?

Are you certain that the encapsulation is glass and not resin?  I've got
a tub full of those paper-and-oil caps encapsulated in clear (like
water) resin, ranging in value from 100 pf to about 2.2 uF.

I know that some old Sprague "Vitamin Q" steel-jacketed caps were sealed
with what looks like glass, but again, I suspect that it's just resin.
(BTW, when those things go, it's explosive with the added shrapnel of
the jacket.  Nasty).

--Chuck