Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Fri Sep 25 15:56:36 CDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:33:59PM -0700, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 09/24/2015 04:30 PM, Alexander Schreiber wrote:
>
> >IMHO, you want to buy at one generation below the current max
> >capacity on the assumption that they ironed out the bugs on that
> >one.
>
> So, if you were to move up from the 500GB SATA drives to the "next
> generation", which would you choose?

My last set of drives where WD Red 2TB drives. They are designed for NAS,
so can deal with 24/7 operation. One word of warning on those: by default
they spin down on idle (and spin up again on access). In a typical light
loaded environment, that is likely to run up the load cycles sky high
in a hurry. So I recommended completely disabling that (note: after
changing this setting, the drives need a power cycle).

Older ones: I'm quite fond of WD RE series drives, a bit more expensive
but from my experience very reliable.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison