Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Tue Sep 22 20:23:24 CDT 2015

On 09/22/2015 03:35 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> Ah, yes.  I remember WatFor
>> And Unix was no different, 'C' started out as a Fortran compiler.
> Really?  "citation needed".

I also find this hard to believe.  C is a very different
language structure than FORTRAN.
I checked out a Bell Unix distro on the PDP-11 and the
FORTRAN compiler that came with it.
it had several big errors in implementing the standard
FORTRAN language, and also printing out floating point
numbers was laughably slow.  We decided to go with RSX-11M
instead.  That experience put me off Unix-derived systems
for years.  it made me think that that version of FORTRAN
was not likely to have ever been used very much.

Jon