Spelling reforms [was RE: punchcard svg file available]

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Thu Sep 17 15:58:55 CDT 2015

From: geneb
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 3:58 PM

> This discussion reminds me of this quote:

> "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
> English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
> on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
> them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary."

Ah, yes, James Nicoll.  I was a regular reader (and occasional contributor)
to rec.arts.sf-lovers when he wrote that (15 May 1990).  It was, amusingly
enough, part of an off-topic subthread that started with a post entitled
"Drugs in SF" started on 3 May 1990!

(The long thread is a great read.  Plug "43945 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu" into
 the advanced search box of Google Groups to resurrect it.)

Imagine that, thread drift...

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/