Cryptolocker (was RE: Is tape dead?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Sep 17 12:20:23 CDT 2015

On 09/17/2015 09:58 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> It turns out my memory was faulty.  I remember discussions about
> SCOPE, but I don't actually see a copy.  There's COS, SMM 4.0, Kronos
> 1.0 and 2.1.2, lots of NOS from 1.2 through 2.8.7 and about 8 in
> between, NOS/BE 1.2 and 1.5.
>
> No 64 bit, no 7600 -- DtCyber doesn't support either of these.  But
> DtCyber is open source, if you feel enterprising you could do that
> work, I'm sure you'll get cheers if you do!

CRM/6RM was a direct offshoot of the 7600 SCOPE effort.

The 7600 wouldn't be too difficult.  What I'd like to see is a STAR-100
emulator, but that would be a very big job--and then, I don't know if
any software is still available.  Maybe buried in a vault at Lawrence
Livermore or NASA Langley.  Or maybe someone who kept old archives from
ETA might have something.

Few CDCers of the time even knew that the STAR-100 existed.  I remember
that when the initial software design briefings for the Cyber 180 were
given that the guy describing the paging software hadn't been aware of
the STAR doing this since 1969 or thereabouts.  I did get up and tell
him that we'd had more experience with 64-bit paging algorithms than
anyone else in the company and that it would behoove him to pay us a visit.

I don't think he ever did.  CDC was full of the NIH syndrome.

--Chuck