Is tape dead?

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Mon Sep 14 17:56:15 CDT 2015

We just procured a new Overland LTO-6 library this year at work so I can
tell you from direct experience that tape is not dead! Although
direct-to-disk and to-tape backup cost has more or less converged from a
price standpoint, there are still some nice aspects of tape ... you get
practically infinite storage in a finite number of rack units ... you don't
need to keep whole racks of disks on the data center floor, powered up;
they're more conducive to off-site archival and so on.

I've tried to use tape at home mostly as a backup media at least a few
times ... with DAT, with QIC ... with 8 mm ... and of course I've played
with the older DEC cartridge tapes i.e. TK50/TK70 ... never had much luck
with them ... I think the transports are pretty "used up" by the time they
get to me ... I still do have a few TK50 drives, a DAT and a QIC ... I
don't have much media left ... a few TK50 cartridges and a box of QIC tapes
where the rollers have turned to goop ...

It would be a hoot to get a 9-track in here someday to play with but I
wouldn't want to spend a whole lot of dough on it ...

So, I think tape has bright prospects both in production IT as well as in
the hobbyist environment yet :O

Best,

Sean