internet blocking problem ?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Sep 10 23:49:54 CDT 2015

On 09/10/2015 11:10 PM, Alexis Kotlowy wrote:
> Also, I'm talking to a network-oriented friend in Canada
> who reckons it's iiNet who are blocking packets. I'd like
> to know why! Alexis.
iinet has posted several blogs and position papers decrying
poorly thought out responses to intellectual property
piracy, and draconian laws that apparently were enacted in
Australia in June.  They are apparently engaged in a war of
words (and maybe more things they are not talking about)
with the MPAA and other IP representatives.

I suppose if iinet is worried about being sued for their
user's making pirated content available for download, then
blocking people outside .AU from seeing member's web pages
might be a rational way to stop US groups from detecting the
pirated content.

OR, maybe some groups in the US have convinced some ISPs in
the US to block certain .AU web sites.

Ah ha!  I see that iinet.net.au and members.iinet.net.au
resolve to DIFFERENT IP addresses.
(Neither of these respond to pings, but that is not that
unusual, lots of facilities don't allow pinging from outside.)

Jon