Tu10 pdp11

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 6 02:43:22 CDT 2015

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Jay Jaeger
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2015 3:54 AM
To: cctech at classiccmp.org
Subject: Re: Tu10 pdp11

On 9/5/2015 10:40 AM, william degnan wrote:

> Ok.  I checked my tu10, it has the backplane, it is a master.  I see where
> it connects using the backplane cable to the pdp11.  I never worked with a
> TU10 before and I was looking to see if references to the tm11 were
> "module/card" or backplane interface.  I surprisingly found little
> commentary or threads about the TU10 / TM11,  other than DEC docs.  I
> guess
> these are not super common or people who have them have not often reached
> out to the classic cmp community, that I could find in a search.
>
> Bill Degnan
> twitter: billdeg
> vintagecomputer.net
> On Sep 5, 2015 3:37 AM, "Eric Smith" <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:

Just to be clear, a TU10, even a master, does NOT connect directly to a
PDP-11.  Instead, a cable of the same general ilk as a BC11 UNIBUS Cable
(but I have not verified it is in fact the same kind of cable) connects
the drive to the TM11 controller.

The TM11 connects to the PDP-11 UNIBUS.

The TU10 master drive backplane has some "G" cards in it.  The TM11,
mounted separately, does NOT have any "G" cards in it.

JRJ

======

Yes, the TS03 also comes in two versions, master and slave. Underneath
the first drive is a quad module (M8920 IIRC) mounted, and that makes
the TS03 a master. One slave TS03 can be connected to the master.
The quad module connects to the TMB11 controller using a BC11 cable.
The BC11 is commonly for UNIBUS interconnection, but it is used for
several other purposes. TS03 to conttroller is one, RK05 is another
well-known example. TU10 is added to that list ;-)

I have one TU10, so I would be happy to find a TM11 ...

- Henk