Problem with RF73 DSSI disk

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 5 11:20:20 CDT 2015

> > As a bystander, I would much rather see silence than some forty or
> > fifty "sorry, don't know anything about that" responses flooding the
> > list after every request for help.
>
> I couldn't agree more, Mouse!  lol.

\begin{aolmode}

Me too

\end{aolmode}

Nobody here knows everything, and for everyone (or even all the regulars) to
say 'I don't know' every time is going to make the list unusable fast.

> Holm, dude!   I'm not speaking for
> others, of course, but it is bothersome
> *to me* when someone posts to this list
> (or any other helpful list) with an air
> of entitlement and expectation that
> people are going to *immediately*
> provide *insane amounts* of spot-on
> support for whatever their problem is
> (no matter how esoteric), or even
> respond at all.      All responses are
> voluntary -- and we should all be
> gracious and thankful for *anything we
> get*.. and certainly not disparage the
> list if we get nothing.

There is one, and only one, way of ensuring I give a reply. And that is to
pay my consultancy rates (which are not cheap!). I suspect the same applies
to others here.

If I agree to do a piece of work for you, and you pay me, then of course I will
do it to the best of my ability. That is what you are paying for. But note also
that I have to agree to do it. In this case I would not do so. Not for any
personal reasons but because I know nothing about DSSI disks or the RF73,
I have no manuals on them, I have no way of getting such manuals, My VAX
has an R80 drive, my PDP11s have RK05s, RK07s and RL's. Ask about those and
I might be able to help.

> Nothing is OWED to ANYONE.

My experience of this list is that people will go out of their way to help each
other. But only if they can.

I think a reasonable conclusion is that nobody has any service information on the
RF73. It's a pity, and I would love to be proved wrong, but...

-tony