Possible road trip....Illnois, Canada, Maine and back

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:20:17 CDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM, William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Last year, I made a 10 hour round-trip from Canada to the US to pick up a Northstar Horizon.  Upon returning to Canada with it, I had a long conversation with Canada Customs about why I would make a 10-hour day-trip to the US to pick up a “piece of obsolete junk” unless it had some real value, and if it had real value, Her Majesty wanted taxes on that value.  He suggested that next time I bring with me printed copies of any paper trail, such as emails offering the ‘junk’ for free or cheap, examples of eBay listings showing the actual value, etc.
>
> And the Canadian side is the nice side!

On my big Canadian ccmp retrieval run last December, we were detailed
for an hour+ while the agents inspected my nearly empty car, read my
email on my phone (found a search for the word "Canada,") and went
through our bags.  On the way back, packed to the gills with old
computers, the US agent laughed, asked "what do you DO with all
that??" and sent us on our way.

Completely anecdotal but jives with other reports I've heard.

-j