Somewhat OT: Freighting Items

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Tue Sep 1 12:35:05 CDT 2015

I don't know how uptight your place of employment is (or if you're retired)
but if you're friendly with the dockmaster or mail room staff at your
office building, it can be worth having a little chat with them to see if
you can just arrange to have palletized freight shipped to your office;
take advantage of the infrastructure there to get it off the truck, then
you can break down the pallet over lunch, or after hours into chunks that
will fit into your personal vehicle. I've done this and it's worked out
great ... I wouldn't make a habit of it, but for a one-off thing and a
comparatively small pallet, they were happy to hold it for me and give me a
call. I don't know what the companies charge for liftgate service but if
you want to run a palletized LTL and you can receive at a dock on your end,
it should end up costing you roughly a dollar a pound or so for the transit.

Best,

Sean