Gov. & the machine(s) we love

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 21:25:35 CDT 2015

c.murray.mccullough at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What is the role played by the U.S. gov. in helping to create the
> > microcomputer? What money & expertise did it provide?
>
> Interesting question.  Supposedly some of the impetus for integrated
circuits came from the space program -- but I think the first ones (at TI)
predate that.  And the first microcomputer, the Intel 4004, was as far as I
remember built to be the engine of a calculator.

> So chances are that various government programs helped at the margins,
but were not drivers.

>         paul

I read about the datapoint 3300, how cdc was connected to the 4004.  I also
read about how the 4004 was inspired by the f14 (?) fighter jet, Can anyone
confirm these?