"Demystification" is just as important as "Abstraction" in "Computer Science" (Was: Know any Fortran

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Oct 30 18:22:02 CDT 2015

> Our industry is saturated with such refusal to understand.  Consider
> Microsoft's "throw hardware at the software problems" argument that if
> their software runs too slowly on your computer, then that shows that YOUR
> COMPUTER (and you) is inadequate, and you should get a faster computer.

Seems perfectly logical to me.  Microsoft blames your hardware for their
bloatware running slowly.  You update the hardware and it solves the problem.
Then they can ratchet up the bloat level again and convince you that the
reason the new version runs so slowly is because the hardware you are running
it on is no longer up to it.  They were right the first time, so why wouldn't
they be right this time? GOTO 10.

Writing efficient software to get the best out of the hardware would sure spoil
that business model.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.