Trying to get my RLV11 working

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:45:40 CDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Ben Sinclair <ben at bensinclair.com> wrote:
> I only have one RL02, so I think that cable should work. I ordered it anyway!

That cable (BC80M) will work even if you get a second drive.  No
matter how the first drive is attached to the controller, to add a
drive, you remove the terminator from the first drive, add a
drive-to-drive cable between the two drives, then move the terminator
to the second drive.

Can anyone with experience from back in the day comment on why there
is a BC80M?  Why all the controllers didn't just use the flat cable to
a cab kit and a drive-to-drive cable?  Cost?  Length?   EMI reduction
from running the BC80M into a BA23, etc, and only pushing shielded
cable outside the CPU enclosure?  Is the flat-cable-and-cab-kit
pre-FCC only?

> I'll keep an eye out for other controllers, but I think I will order
> an extender and attempt to debug the one I have.

It seems to be mostly working, so with luck, it's a single IC, once
you narrow it down.

-ethan