The Internet & our hobby

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Oct 24 09:56:41 CDT 2015

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    > Well, it is not correct when we then include that it is 43 years old...
    > Internets using TCP/IP is a bit over 30 years old, but not over 40.

Good point! {Does a little math in his head...} 43 years, that gives us 1972.
The OP was clearly thinking of the ARPANET. Which as I have mentioned, was
_very_ different from TCP/IP, inside.

Don't get me wrong, we learned a _tremendous_ amount from the ARPANET, and it
was a key step, but it's about as similar to TCP/IP as the Wright brothers
airplanes (with their 'wing-warping' roll control system, etc) are to modern
airplanes. (And actually, that's slightly unfair to the Wright brothers;
their airplanes are, IMO, actually closer to modern airplanes than the
ARPANET is to TCP/IP!)

	Noel