The Internet & our hobby

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 23 12:26:38 CDT 2015

On 10/23/2015 09:37 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:

> TCP/IP would be 33, not 43 years ago. The internet was certainly not
> "made possible" by TCP/IP. It was inevitable that eventually there
> would be movementS towards standardization of protocols on the
> arpanet.  They could have done much worse than TCP/IP!

Yeah, I had quite a number of problems with the original post also.

Early internet systems--I'm not sure where to draw the line between
Usenet, ARPANet and Internet exactly often employed nothing more than
POTS networking, using nothing more than UUCP or similar methods.

When I added email Internet communication, I used a package for Windows
called UUPC, which was pretty much a UUCP clone.  Others simply signed
up to a service, such as Compuserve.

The Internet is not the World-Wide-Web.  Indeed, I have a PC package and
book titled "Internet Starter Kit" and there's no mention of a web browser.

I do miss the web-less Internet in some respects.  People were more
polite back then--at least in their written communication.

--Chuck