8" hard sector (Was DG S/130 status)

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Mon Oct 19 09:35:25 CDT 2015

On Monday (10/19/2015 at 10:20AM -0400), Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Chris Elmquist wrote:
>
> >The photos are of the 10-hole punch.  We also did a 16-hole as Dwight
> >has mentioned and he as a few of those still available.
> >
> >Dwight, I double checked the metal and we're both mis-remembering.
> >It's not aluminum or stainless but just tool steel that Russ polished.
> >You can stick a magnet to it.   Therefore, probably keep these out of
> >the humidity or they will rust.
>
> Very timely.  I had an occasion to drag out my 10-hole punch yesterday and
> modify a couple of diskettes for my N*.  The first time around I had a lot
> of tearing that resulted in the dreaded "hanging chads".  When I took a
> close look at the die plate I noticed an irregular raised burr around all
> the holes.  After taking some fine-grit sandpaper to the surface and
> leveling the holes it started working a lot better.
>
> Maybe this will be helpful to other users.

Yes. Thanks Steven.  The whole project was an experiment no doubt.  In the
end, I think we pushed the limits of my buddy's prototype machine shop,
asking him to make the quantity of these that he did.  This resulted
in some quality issues such as you have found, where basically,
he got bored with all the detail work finishing them to perfection.
It quickly changed from being fun to being work and for hobby stuff,
I think we all understand what that means.

If we were to do these again, today, we'd need to farm out the work to
a production shop for better, more reproducible results I think.

Chris
--
Chris Elmquist