VT52s, VT61s lots of DEC and DG keyboards- return trip through Maine, MA, NY, PA, OH, IN to IL

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 10:52:03 CDT 2015

> The only other terminal I worked
> with that could do that was a Tektronix storage scope terminal (4010
> or 4014, IIRC).  The Tek printer wasn't built-in, but it did take a
> scan of the live screen, so that was similar.  The paper was
> silver-grey and I remember it coming out wet too.  Everything else I
> worked with was either thermal or dot-matrix impact, and could only
> capture text as it arrived at the terminal, not a screen image.

The tektronix printer (or 'copier' as they called it) was photographic. The
paper was light-sensitive, and went past the screen of a 'flat' CRT (I think
it only had deflection plates for one axis, the 'deflection' in the other
direction coming from the paper movement). It really was an odd-looking
tube.

IIRC the image was developed by heating the paper. I don't remember any
liquids involved, but it's been a long time since I looked at the manual for one
and even longer since I've seen the actual device

-tony