ST506/412 failure modes? (in this case, an IBM 0665)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:57:39 CDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Jules Richardson
<jules.richardson99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Afternoon all,
>
> This may be forgotten knowledge - or perhaps more likely, something that was
> never known in the first place - but are there any typical failure modes of
> ST506/412-type drives (beyond the obvious mechanical damage between heads
> and platters)?

I had a Tandon TM602S refurbed in the 1990s because it was the mech
from a Commodore D9060 drive (and we didn't yet know that a Seagate
ST225 would drop-in without firmware changes, though at 5MB of
capacity used).  The specific fault with the one I had was a bad track
zero sensor.  It required opening the HDA, so I had it done by a
repair house.  ISTR it was well under $100 since I wasn't fiddling
with the platters.

-ethan