Tape cleaner on eBay

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 6 21:58:54 CDT 2015

On 10/06/2015 07:43 PM, Ali wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. So then you would use this on tape w/o
> data or w/ data that does not need to be retained? I ask because
> scraping off loose carbide sounds like it may cause problems with
> data integrity.

There's not much that's typically scraped off.  What you get is a
dirt-free smooth surface.  Most data centers ran used tapes through a
cleaning machine before returning the tapes to the scratch pool.

But I've not found that a tape cleaner affects existing data in any way.

A step up is a recertifier that writes and reads back a pattern and
notes the bad spots.  Usually done after a cleaning pass.

--Chuck