Reinstalling SunOS 4.1.4 without CD drive

Justin Dj Scott ccmp at impakt.net
Fri Oct 2 10:59:34 CDT 2015

So, lets say you have your disk already partitioned the way you want it, and you have a swap (partition c) partition of equal or greater size of your install iso (actually not very likely, but lets just say that's so).

You can create a filesystem on partition c from another machine, put your CD image onto that partition, then from the OK prompt, tell it to boot from partition c of that drive.

The CD will boot, and then you can install from there - assuming that the installer gets everything off the partition before it decides to setup swap.

*Disclaimer: I've never tried this with SunOS, because A) I had the cd and CDROM[1], and B) I never had a swap partition that was 10x my max installed ram, however, I have done an OpenBSD install on a sun4u arch by this same methodology, copying the minimalist installer image to the c partition, booting from it, and then when it needed packages, it pulled the packages from the network.

[1] FYI, in case you're not aware, SPARC machines require a CDROM that will do the less common 512-byte sector size.  This means, if your CDROM works on anything other than a Sun machine, it won't work on a Sun machine.  If it does work on a Sun machine, it won't work on any(most) other machines.  There are many SCSI CDROM drives that can easily be changed over, either by jumper blocks or by cutting or soldering solder-pad jumpers.  For instance, back in my SunOS4 days, I had a Toshiba CDROM external that was intended to be used by a PC.  Open it up, cut a "half moon" solder jumper, and voila, it worked perfectly with a Sun.

cheers,
dj