A stored collection piece is a Schrodinger's cat

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 29 13:08:47 CST 2015

When I joined DEC our field service guys would go out armed with a 745
Tektronix scope (wonderful piece of kit), tools, spare TTL, soldering
iron and so on.  If you look at the boards from those days you could get
the components out and change them.
Flip - Chip Modules I love 'em.

At that time DEC only hired  engineers and then we got trained in sales.
So you could normally hold your own with the field service guys. On day
I took in a board I had wired up myself and asked if I could use the
bench where they did  board repairs.  Usual comment 'OK which customer
are you doing a favour for this time'

So I owend up said  I wired it. The answer came back oh if its a
personal job it gets top prioriy.
You can use what ever equipment you want and take whatever components
you need.
I often borrowed a scope ove the week end.

I gathered that a number of DEC products were the result of engineers
having an idea and putting it together at home from scrounged parts.

Rod