Fw: new message

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 00:14:45 CST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015, Dave Wade wrote:
> Most browsers can be hijacked via DNS or IP address stealing. Thats how
> much public access wifi works. Any attempt to access any page diverts to a
> login page.

True enough. When I first read Chuck's message I misunderstood and
thought he meant that IE opened the page even though it was configured
to open a blank page on startup; but I guess I was just assuming that
since that's *my* preference for new pages.

My ISP injects into web pages a helpful heads-up message if your account
is overdue. My work's network always prompts for a login unless you've
already logged in within some amount of time; I just reported to their
IT that this redirection doesn't work with any https: URL -- you just
get a thing saying the page can't be opened. With more pages being https
now, and major browsers being programmed to automatically try https
before http, this is a little annoying; unfortunately they told me this
was a shortcoming of the Cisco stuff they use, and they have no way of
fixing it.

--
        Eric Christopherson