x86/DOS system backup via rs232?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Nov 14 10:33:33 CST 2015

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015, Jules Richardson wrote:
> Roughly what length are the cables? And do you know if they do anything
> special internally regarding shielding of the data lines?

They, and those of other similar products, were 3 to 6 feet long.  There
is no special shielding requirement up to about 10 feet, or unless you
have extreme electrical noise next to them.

> I think I should probably wire one up, and I have various old printer cables
> etc. laying around to use for donor parts, but I expect that data skew is a
> problem over any significant distance.

So, bring the two computers to within 10 feet of each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LapLink_cable

Before MICROS~1 included an imitation in MS-DOS 6.00, . . .
Traveling Software created "Laplink"