DECtape reliability?

Doug Ingraham dpi at dustyoldcomputers.com
Thu Nov 12 09:39:13 CST 2015

I've got over 200 DEC tapes written before 1973 and there are just a couple
where there is any issue.  Those with issues have severe wear of the tape
surface.  They were system tapes that were in constant service.  Usually
you get a couple of cycles of shoe shine and it manages to read anyway.  It
is entirely possible that a rewrite of those sectors would clear the issue
entirely.

They are pretty reliable.

Doug

--