NeXTSTEP 3.3 Web Browser

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Wed Nov 11 17:14:15 CST 2015

On Nov 11, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not yet connected to the Internet. Hope to get it connected up soon.

on my machine:

mtapley2> /usr/etc/ifconfig -a
en0: flags=63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING>
        inet 129.162.151.119 netmask ffffff80 broadcast 129.162.151.126
lo0: flags=869<UP,LOOPBACK,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING>
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

	don’t know if that helps, let me know what else will help. Ethernet plugs in and the standard instructions at

/NextLibrary/Documentation/NextAdmin/03_SetUpNet.rtfd/

for setting up static IP addresses, while somewhat arcane, worked for me.
(Sure hope they mean, … ."rich text format document". That would be more polite than what I fear….)

I’m running version 2.7 beta 3 according to the splash screen that comes up in response to “info”.

> Thanks Mark! My system has 48 MB and around 650 MB left on the 1 GB HDD.

Neither of those sound like a problem. Mine has 64 MB but much less iron oxide left.

> Excited about the possibility of contributing to RC5-72! I'll have to hook
> up my less-than-good monitor if I'm going to leave it running for long
> periods of time. Maybe I'll install a switch in there to turn off the
> filament in the CRT when not in use. :)

That would be cool; I have run out  my monitor twice (both times, vertical scan collapsed and I switched to a backup monitor; once, shotgunning all capacitors fixed it, but I have yet to do that the second time) (Sorry Tony, time and brains both lacking here to do the job right :-) ).
At the moment, I’m running a backup megapixel display on the Cube board and a Sun 15” color monitor on the NextDimension. Windows slide nicely from one to the other, but it does slow things down a little to run that way.

However, if speed were the issue, the system would be in trouble; lots of screen real estate is one way it can still compete with my laptop!

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Chris Osborn <fozztexx at fozztexx.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you need a replacement icon for it, I made some a long time ago:
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/EKNAukO.png

Hee hee! Yeah, it’s an education in patience, as blazing fast as it was on introduction.