Micro-Altair tape interface

dave at 661.org dave at 661.org
Mon Nov 2 23:54:31 CST 2015

As I finally complete my Micro-Altair kit from Briel Computers, my
thoughts turn to the question of how I can get an audio tape interface
working on this machine.

I understand that the MITS tape controller is essentially a serial port
with a simple modem bolted on the rear.  The Micro-Altair has only one
serial port, coming off the ramdisk board, which will be used for the
console (no, I don't want to use the built-in terminal).  How can a second
serial port be added to this machine?

Then for recognizing Kansas City tape tones, I suppose I could clone the
circuitry of the tape drive modem.  Then I realized I could make an
Arduino do this with a handful of other common parts.  I could make it
recognize Tarbell and other tape formats.  Has anyone else done this sort
of thing?

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org