PDP11 switches / was Re: KIM Uno /PiDP-11 plans...

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Nov 1 16:12:45 CST 2015

On 2015-Nov-01, at 7:21 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>> I've ordered 10 7101J50-CQE2's from Online ... _Iff_ they fit into the
>> old front panels, I'll let the list know.
>> let's see if the 7101J50-C's fit, then we can discuss how to proceed.
>
> So the switches got here Friday, and alas, they are _not quite_ the right
> thing.
>
> They are very close, however - they have the bent face-plate, with the latch,
> and the triangular side plates with the holes at the tips for the pivots of
> the toggle (actuator, is I guess the formal name). They are also the same
> size (facing them - i.e. side-side, both directions).
>
> The only thing that's wrong is that the distance between the switch body, and
> the top of the bent face-plate, is too far. This, alas, means not only that
> it won't fit into existing holder frames on front consoles, but they also
> interfere with the installation of the DEC custom toggles (actuators).
>
> However, they are _so close_ that it's possible that C+K can produce some
> semi-custom ones with the right distance. (I've had a good look through the
> C+K 7000 series catalog, and all of the current snap-in panel ones have the
> taller offset.) Maybe they even still have the tooling, and it's only a
> special order.
>
> Anyway, I will call C+K on Monday, and see what I can find out.

If it helps any, here are what I expect are the pertinent pages from an original C&K catalog from 1977:
	http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/e/ckswitches77/

The selection covers two categories, "Rocker and Lever Handle Switches" and "PC Mounted Toggle and Rocker Switches"
They include all sorts of styles and measurements, so maybe you can discern whether something changed in C&K's specs from way back when.

If there seems to be something missing or other pages needed let me know.
Pardon the white-balance, I set the camera and thought they were coming out whiter.