SGI Indigo2 graphics options

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Tue Mar 31 20:46:55 CDT 2015

Sorry, it's a teal cabinet; I'm crass; I call them "green" and "purple",
respectively, for non-Impact and Impact I2s :)

You are right, even the interactive performance of the R8K had me a bit
taken aback; it feels more like you are on an R4K/100 or R4K/150 machine at
best. But I understand in its day it really flew on the FP codes; the claim
was something like the R8K could sustain the FP performance of a Cray Y-MP
EL CPU or something like that... I don't know if this claim was ever really
substantiated in the real world... But it's a neat little oddball; I like
having a white elephant around.

I guess I was just lucky to get into the hobby at the right time ca.
1999-2001 when a lot of this particular gear just happened to be hitting
the secondhand market... I got a lot of my gear from a great guy, Herb
Johnson, maybe a few other folks here have done business with him... he's
out on the east coast somewhere... and I think he got a lot of his stuff
from academic property dispo sales. I've gotten a few directly from
property disposition at various Michigan universities; a friend also got
one via the same means. Very little of what I've got came out of a private
commercial setting (although I have mostly /worked/ in academia).

Great that you got a pair of matching feet! Use em! I think the system
looks absolutely gorgeous when on stands. Laying an I2 horizontally on a
desktop does not do it justice, IMO ;) With all my SGI scrounging I only
ever ended up with one pair of stands and I keep them on my display
system... I don't know that it affects cooling efficiency much how you've
got it oriented so long as there isn't stuff piled up around the bottom
blocking airflow when the system is vertical.

Good luck with the Origin, I've never personally owned any SGI that
large... closest I come is I've got some guts to a Crimson. IIRC that
hardware was considered kind of "finicky" in its day so might not hurt to
run in a reduced config and keep some for spare parts.

Best,

Sean