What kind of adhesive for floppy drive?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Mar 27 21:11:25 CDT 2015

On 03/27/2015 05:45 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> Could it be one of those thick-bodied sealing lacquers, such as used to fix
> trimmer controls in place, and so on? I've seen them in deep green, red and
> a sort of amber color, but not blue.
> I'm sure many of us are familiar with the material - it holds fasteners &
> control shafts in place very well, but 'shatters' and falls away fairly
> cleanly, once you give the treated part a good twist.
> Glyptal is also used in those applications, but that material is typically
> opaque and a burnt-orange color. It's also a lot tougher.

Lacquer based thread lockers/fillers used to be very common.  Old-timers 
would use nail polish (cellulose nitrate-based).  I've used plain old 
red Duco lacquer, but that's pretty much unobtainium nowadays.

Loctite 8060 Pro-Lock Tight seems to be a modern-age equivalent.


More information about the cctalk mailing list