Recovering data from 4mm and 8mm tapes

healyzh at aracnet.com healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Mar 23 11:12:56 CDT 2015

My experience is that if you can find an Exabyte EXB-8500, you can
probably read that 8mm, newer drives may also work just fine (it's been
enough years, I forget just how new of drives we've been able to read
8mm tapes of that vintage on.

What's likely to be difficult though is the 4mm tape.  The 4mm DDS tapes
are probably proprietary to the drive model, and potentially to the
drive they were written in (if the heads were out of alignment).  I hate
trying to recover 4mm data.  Was it written using a SGI branded drive?
If so that would make things easier.  Actually if it was written a drive
that was relatively new in 1998 it might be easier, buy then things were
fairly standardized.

No clue on the Linux/IRIX question, but I would imagine Google can help
you there, as that seems like a common enough problem.

Zane