Math software - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Mon Mar 9 01:09:47 CDT 2015

On 06/03/15 9:40 AM, Mouse wrote:
>>> I don't know enough about it to offer an opinion [...]
>> I've been using Mathematica for years. [...] I've also used MatLab
>> which also falls somewhat into that category. MatLab is is really
>> optimized around vectors and arrays.
>
> That might be more similar to APL, then.
>
> This has been rattling around in my mind for a little while now and I
> think one reason I didn't think of things like Mathematica or Matlab is
> that they're single-implementation. ...
>
> /~\ The ASCII Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
> X Against HTML mouse at rodents-montreal.org
> / \ Email! 7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39 4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

As I haven't yet seen it mentioned in this discussion, I think I need to toss in Scilab (http://www.scilab.org/ , also on WP), which is a Matlab workalike that came out of a French mathematical research iInstitute (INRIA, Institute Institut national de recherche en informatique et en automatique). It is under a GPL compatible license (CeCILL) and should therefore also work for those of us for whom free beer isn't free enough :) I used it^w a tiny portion of it during my student thesis for predicting and comparing the EMI spectra of phase and burst fired power controllers under different load conditions and power settings.

So Long,
Arno