Advice Requested on Life Expectancy of a PC Windows System

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:02:40 CDT 2015

> > Why not??!?
>
> 	Fair question, easy answer. Security. Unless it's air-gapped, I
> wouldn't put anything sensitive on WinXP. Every month, we are finding out
> just how much WinXP is like swiss cheese.

Well there are other reasons. You buy a new printer and you find it only
works on Windows/7 onwards.
Microsoft does things to "persuade" you to upgrade...
Lets take the latest Skype upgrade. Microsoft have blocked folks from using
older versions of Skype, but the latest version has an un-documented
requirement for the .NETv4 framework.
So if you upgrade skype without it Skype fails to start missing
"dxva2.dll"..
No the paranoid among you will say this is Microsoft trying to get you to
upgrade to Windows/7...
.. the seasoned developers will say "I wonder if Microsoft has stopped
testing on XP"

On the other hand you do find yourself jettisoning apps which do work, often
ones supplied with Windows such as Hyperterm....