organizing a trip to Cuba

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 24 07:19:08 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-24 13:56, Rod Smallwood wrote:
> I was at DEC when much of this took place .
> The big concern was not so much the copying but the USSR just buying DEC
> product on the open market.
> They would set up a front company, sign up as an oem, pay their bills on
> time and carry on shipping.
> It took a while to sink in that good well behaved customers were he ones
> to watch not the ones who were in trouble all the time.

Oh, I know. I'm from Sweden. We had a very big scandal where 5
containers with a VAX-11/782 and peripherials or something like that was
found under strange circumstances. When the whole thing started to be
investigated suddenly no one seemed to know or own those containers. The
system was unclaimed for years, and it became a question of what to do
with it, since no one seemed to claim it. I think it was eventually
decided that since DEC made it, it was returned to them. The original
shipping destination was of course somewhere in Soviet Union. This was
in the early 80s... I'm sure someone can find the full story online
somewhere.

The stuff spy thrillers are made from... :-)

	Johnny