1990 Era computer room

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 23 17:04:12 CDT 2015

On 2015-Jun-23, at 2:28 PM, william degnan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> On 2015-Jun-23, at 12:50 PM, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:
>>> hp drives  yes...
>>>
>>> OK  another odd thing - note tapes but  lack of tape   drives.
>>>
>>> If  only we  could see what was in the rest of the   room!
>>
>> I think those are all disk cartridges, rather than tapes.
>>
>> I was trying to guess what the blurred manufacturer name on the racks
>> might be and find matching pics on the web but no luck so far.
>> Looks like one capital letter followed by a number of half-height letters.
>>
>> I find it odd that the while the drives are mid-70s+, the processor panels
>> look like something from the late-60s or even earlier.
>>
> It could be a bunch of terminal multiplexers or communications controllers,
> does not even have to be CPU's...

Certainly, it's an assumption that they're CPUs, but then where are the CPUs? They could be behind the blank panels but it would also be a little odd to completely cover them up like that (no apparent power/reset/boot/run switches/lights). Might be CPU on the bottom portion of the front panels (row of 16/17) and comms as you suggest on the upper portion.