Nopecraft - was Re: OT: learner kits

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Sun Jun 21 17:21:05 CDT 2015

On Jun 21, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I purchased a Raspberry Pi recently and was surprised to find a version of Minecraft installed, I don't know anything about it but my son did.  It sort of 'hooked' him into the Pi.
>
> Oh, and it also had Mathematica on it, a stripped down version.  I think that was to get me 'hooked', I've never been able to afford Mathematica and am interested in it.

It’s actually full V10 Mathematica, which was the thing that pushed me into getting it. It does depend on the web-link for lots of the help features, but I think is otherwise complete. It is also SLOW compared to most Mathematica platforms. I didn’t find out about the availability of the obsolete Minecraft version until later; my son spent some time with it but didn’t get hooked into other Pi features (and now owns his own x86 laptop).

Many thanks to all for the Minecraft mod suggestions; I’ll pass those on to Will the 14-year-old and see whether he feels like downloading some to make his redstone creations more programmable; like Toby I’m not a huge MineCrack fan but Will is spending time on it anyway; if he learns FORTH or 6502 assembly as a side-effect of fooling around in MineCraft, that seems like a step forward.

He did help me write some code on the CARDIAC simulator (which rocks) but may have run out of interest in that, but at least he has this much intro to machine language.

https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/museum/cardiac.html
https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/museum/cardsim.html

															- Mark