Place for a build log?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Jun 20 22:11:54 CDT 2015

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 19:43, Marc Verdiell <marc.verdiell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have an equivalent for classic computer restorations? I see some
> people have their own blog on regular blog sites. But I dislike the format -
> it's posted reverse latest first, you can only see the latest posts at once.
> Not anywhere as good as a thread.

I think it should be possible to configure Wordpress to display posts from oldest to newest. It's just not conventional for blogs to be that way. You might also dedicate one post to each build, and edit that build to tack on updates. That's not so helpful for people who want to get updates via RSS for new activity, though. I took a quick look at my site's settings and didn't find a simple click option to reverse the sort order, but I'm sure it's still do-able.

> And I have not found the equivalent of our "Builder Logs Thread" on the
> Vintage Computer Forums which I just "discovered".

Maybe Erik would consider adding a category on VCF for build logs? If not, there's nothing stopping you from posting a new thread in an appropriate category there. Though if the build happens to be off-topic for VCF, it might get more attention on a more closely-related forum than in the off-topic area on VCF.

For R2-D2 robot replica building, maybe there's some robotics or maker forum where it will get the most attention and participation? Or maybe you would consider giving the robot an LSI-11 for a brain so it can sneak into VCF? :)

Twitter also has its place for our activities, but it's best suited for immediate interaction around a very short "Hey, look at my cool thing!" posting which will quickly drop into obscurity. Twitter, mailing lists, Facebook (GACK! EVIL!), forums, blogs, etc. all have their own styles, plusses and minuses.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/