XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Jun 18 05:06:24 CDT 2015

On 17/06/2015 12:16, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> Off topic for a moment but, do you know perchance what's going to
> happen to XH558 at the end of this year? I've never had a chance to
> see a flying Vulcan, and it's too bad I won't ever get to see one (nor
> did I get to see the awesome display of both of he flight worthy
> Lancasters flying together last year...).

I'd have directed you to http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ if Rob hadn't
already.  Sometimes, though, it flies near places not on the official
list - for example, I've seen it fly almost over our house (we live near
Elvington) on two different Fridays in the last month or so.  Presumably
in transit to some other show.

Sadly, on the first occasion it flew circuits for a quarter of an hour,
but I didn't hear it (or realise it was the Vulcan) until my wife said
something like "Oh, that triangular aircraft has been flying around a
bit for a while." (We often get noise from Elvington and sometimes I
tune it out.)  I watched it fly a couple of circuits before I thought to
fetch the camera - by which time it was almost out of sight.  On the
second occasion it was so cloudy I couldn't get a decent shot.  Sigh.

--
Pete

Pete Turnbull