using new technology on old machines

Jonas Otter jonas at otter.se
Wed Jun 17 16:14:18 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-17 13:28, Dave G4UGM wrote:
> I found it easier to think of it in DC terms. So the Cap charges through R5
> + R3 and R9 + R8.
>
> As the Cap charges the voltage on the base of Q1 rises until it turns on,
> which then turns on Q2.
While the cap charges, it steals the base current which would otherwise
have gone to Q1, thus keeping Q1 turned off. When the cap nears the end
of the charge, more current goes to the base of Q1 which turns on,
turning on Q2, which raises the voltage over R8 and R9. Since the
voltage on a capacitor cannot change instantaneously, the voltage on the
base of Q1 rises while the cap discharges through the base of Q1,
keeping it hard on. As the cap discharges and charges in the reverse
direction, the base current of Q1 decreases and ultimately Q1 turns off,
turning off Q2 and lowering the voltage over R8 and R9, and the cycle
starts over.

For the circuit to work, I think (I may be wrong) the base current
supplied to Q1 by R5 and the pot has to be not quite sufficient to turn
it on. Also the cap is reverse charged for one half cycle.

I believe this is a classical astable multivibrator circuit, but not the
more common one with two cross-coupled transistors with capacitors from
the collector of one to the base of the other. The DEC circuit I think
can be seen a lot in old Siemens application books from the 1960s, such
as may be found here (note German books):
http://rainers-elektronikpage.de/SIEMENS-Fach---u_-Datenbucher/siemens-fach---u_-datenbucher.html

/Jonas