RK06 alignment pack

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 17 11:56:00 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-17 18:36, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> How was alignment packs produced?

As far as I know, in special machines mounted on slabs on stone
weighting tons, standing on dampeners, so that you had absolutely
vibration free environment, and then a very precisely controlled head
control system that could write the tracks at the exact place they
should be. I think the alingment packs even have some tracks
intentionally offset from true center in order to check signal strength
when heads are slightly off track as well.

Same kind of equipment was used to actually do the formatting of disks,
as they cannot be formatted by the disk drives themselves.

	Johnny