On the Emulation of TU58s

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 14:46:46 CDT 2015

> > On Jun 16, 2015, at 12:31 , Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Part 1: two capstans spinning all the time, in opposite directions.  Solenoid-activated pinch rollers would
> > press  the tape against the capstan to set it moving.

> That's also how the magnetic card is moved in and out in the Mag Card II typewriter. There's a pair of counter-
> rotating capstan wheels below the card, and a pair of solenoid-actuated pinch rollers opposite them, above the

And how the paper tape is moved in a Trend HSR500 reader. 2 capstans, one each side of the read head
and 2 solenoid-operated pinch rollers under them. And an electromagnet and armature as a brake.

For something even madder, look at the design of the original Radio Shack 'Line Printer' which was
actually a Centronics something-pr-other (733?). This thing (which is not a line printer at all) has a belt
running across the chassis with a motor continuously driving it (a shaded pole motor I think). Solenoids
on the printhead carriage grab the top or bottom run of the belt depending on which way the carriage
is to move.

-tony