Serial UNIBUS Repeater?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jun 15 15:36:59 CDT 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 11:41 , tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> My 11/730 was totally decabled to get it to me. I think I have most of the original cables, and most of the
> metalwork. I've read the descriptions in the hardware manual on bitsavers and I am not looking forward to
> routing all those cables... Oh well....

Sorry to hear that it's been decabled. Take your time to route those cables through the bottom pan properly, and based on my experience so far, I do not recommend trying to route anything but flat cables through the pan area. Route anything round up over the top and along the folding support arm (what I've been calling a "gantry", but not necessarily correctly). For anything temporary, might as well leave the cabinet slid out and let the cable dangle. The 730 is nicely made for sliding in and out easily, but really not optimized for frequent hardware configuration changes.

> It's a nice idea for a system that is not going to change, but adding or removing cables for a particular
> peripheral option is going to be painful.

Yup, you're exactly right about that.

> That's why I am thinking of adding a BA11K or something on top.

That makes sense to me, particularly if you will not be constrained by the original rack configuration like I am. The 730 has limited UNIBUS slots anyway, so might as well use an expansion rack for anything you might change frequently.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/