Need help: Reading 800 bpi NRZI 9 track tapes

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Jun 12 17:23:00 CDT 2015

> On Jun 12, 2015, at 14:54 , Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>
> My Qualstar 3418 has gone kaput and I need to find someone to read single (Unix) tape written on a TU16 at 800 BPI.  I can handle 1600, 3200 and 6250 just fine, but not 800.
>
> Would anyone in the US be willing to help out?  I can ship some money your way if that matters.  The tape has been baked and cleaned, so no sticky problems.

Another list member who lives in my area has offered to loan me his SCSI magtape drive so I can try to dump some tapes created on my VAX-11/730. If that all comes together (and assuming it will handle 800 BPI), I'd be happy to help. My plan is to hook it up to my Sun Ultra 60 running Solaris 8. I'm in southern California.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/