History of portable computers book -- pre-orders

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Tue Jun 9 14:58:13 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm going to release "version 1.0" of my book in a PDF edition this
Friday night. Then in a couple of weeks from now I'll release a Kindle
e-book version and a print edition.

The PDF version is only $8 and can be ordered right now at the very
primitive web site: http://www.abacustosmartphone.com.

There's nothing to stop people from sharing or posting the PDF, other
than me asking nicely: please do not do that. I am releasing the book
early because I need the money.

So what's in the book? It is the story of the evolution of
mobile/portable computers -- how we got from the abacus to the
smartphone. I wrote it in plain English for general and mildly technical
readers. There aren't a lot of tech speeds-and-feeds; it doesn't explain
how the computers worked or how to program them. It is almost entirely
about who made them, why, and how they all improved on each other to
incrementally move the ball forward. I think it's interesting. Some
parts are very funny. Most of all, it's a story that until never was
never told.

- Evan