Front Panel Update

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Tue Jun 9 16:48:39 CDT 2015

ONLY SOMETIMES...

remember Varian  also made scientific instruments that had   computers
lasted to them and probably used   dec  when  they  were not making their own
mini Ed#  _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org)

In a message dated 6/9/2015 2:46:50 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
bqt at update.uu.se writes:

On  2015-06-09 23:15, tony duell wrote:
>>> DEC was very keen on its  OEM business and if the order was big enough
would allow some variation  in
>>> colours but would not allow the dec logo to be removed or  changed.
>
>> I’m not sure if that’s completely true.  I  remember a PDP11 (11/45
probably) at the University of Illinois,  around

> I am pretty sure I once saw a PDP8/e which was  absolutely normal
internally, but where the front panel was
> green (as  were the switch handles) and it was badged 'Varian'. I don't
remember a  Digital logo on the
> front anywhere.

WTF? Varian was a  competitor of DEC. They made minis themselves. Sounds
extremely strange  that one would take a DEC mini, and put a Varian badge
on it. Did someone  try to make a joke?

Johnny

--
Johnny  Billquist                  ||  "I'm on a bus
||   on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt at softjar.se         ||  Reading murder books
pdp is alive!   ||   tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol